View Single Post
Old 05-26-2022, 12:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I believe that it is still an open question as to the exact nature of the square-cornered cards that David Festberg sold. I do not believe that they are counterfeits made to deceive collectors: there was much better stuff to fake than dollar cards, and they didn't bother with the DiMaggio, which was the most valuable card at the time. You'd think a counterfeiter would skip Bob Elliott and go with Joe D. In my view the most likely explanation of the find was new old stock consisting of a print run of one sheet of the cards from the set that were printed and cut for something but never used for some reason, then were found in the 1980s. The print date and printer and reason for printing them, that we don't know.

But I could be wrong. I just haven't seen any compelling hard evidence as to the actual origins of these cards, nor do I think we will ever do so. That is not to say they are originals of the 1947-49 period, just that precisely what they are is still unknown. My view is get one on the cheap to have but don't say it is a RC.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-26-2022 at 12:07 PM.