View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 01:56 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
If the centering begins below the letters at the bottom of the card (which I believe it does?) then I believe it is in tolerance of receiving a 10?
https://www.psacard.com/resources/gr...andards#detail

I have always wondered that too. How could a card that old or older stay so sharp and clean after all these years?

I am not suggesting it isn't possible, I would just like to know how cards like these were saved/preserved when I highly doubt any type of card savers/sheets were available way back then.

Can I assume most were placed between pages of thick books? I'd honestly like to know what collectors did way back then.
Most of the old time collections were stored in cigar boxes. By stacking them horizontally they were protected from further wear, assuming nobody took them out to look at them. The card would have to have been placed in the cigar box in Mint condition of course, which is difficult enough, then preserved that way for a century.

Is it reasonable to question then how so many T206's remain to this day in pristine or near pristine condition? Yes, that's a fair question. There have been some finds over the years of pristine cards, so some of the 8's, 9's and 10's are perfectly original. But not all.