View Single Post
Old 03-20-2018, 10:31 PM
Bob Andrews

Ryan...last things first: there was a thread in the last week in which many members posted their favorite T206s and most related the story behind the choice. The thread is here:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=252602

I'm not even remotely an expert on this wonderful set but that doesn't stop me from appreciating it. I came to the realization long ago that attempting to collect it in full, or even a significant portion of it was an impossible dream.

What I did instead was pick up cards that I enjoyed or had some significance to me. I started with a Christy Mathewson and added a couple of other affordable Hall of Famers, Rube Marquard and Jack Chesbro. I also found a few common and minor leaguers that had colorful cards that struck my eye and were within my budget at the time.

I added nice but affordable examples of the famous Cubs DB trio of Tinker, Evers and Chance. I had that framed in a little custom display for my office.

Over the years I picked up the nine Eastern League Baltimore players in the set. (Sidebar: I was originally using an old 70s era checklist that only had six listed. I found my mistake early this year).

And lastly I have recently picked up two of the three Chief Bender cards. He has long been an interest of mine. I'm going to add his 'portrait' T206 in the near future.

I'm now at 20 cards. A minuscule total for sure but they all fit my collection. I enjoy each of them. Good luck and welcome.