View Single Post
Old 02-27-2014, 04:18 PM

Default BOOKS/HISTORY/value

A question on the value of a really nice old classic baseball history book Spink's National Game), combined with the poll on selling removed pages from guides etc, has prompted this personal observation on the "value" of baseball books. I have collected books, not just baseball books for over 40 years, and I believe in, and fully understand that people have different tastes. But one way I value things is by comparing them to what else I could get for the same cost. For example, the Spink book (3-400 dollars), is something I would value highly in comparison to things like 100 framed pages removed from guides, any number of submissions for grading, and 20 or more baseballs signed in squiggles. Throw in some old photos, or letters with content and i would have a difficult choice to make. Make it an inscribed copy of a classic history and I will borrow money to get it. Although this is just my opinion and taste, I would make the argument that books like the Spink book are truly cornerstone "iconic" books and should be worth even more. Every truly great collector i have ever known has had a love for and understanding of, the history of baseball as a common trait. They may collect different things, but the great ones understand and love the history. Even though I do not collect T206's , I get it, because collecting them is to pursue history. For some reason great baseball books are not popular at the moment, on this forum, or in general. However, I feel very confident they will still be sought and collected long after some other current fads have faded. Please take just one minute and think about the History and (and value) a book like the Spink, or Spalding's National Game, or Richter has as a foundation for whatever you collect. I suggest your collection will be better for it. I hope this stimulates some book discussion and we can take more advantage of the expertise of members like Barry and Max and be working together to preserve baseball history, not just make money.