View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhs5120 View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree.

As it was pointed out before, the last PSA card that they described as trimmed sold for MORE than the card in the perscribed condition usually sells for. Obviously one of two things happened; the buyer didn't read the descripition carefully or the buyer has the intentions to resell the card without the disclaimer.

REA shouldn't play the middle man for releasing altered memorabilia into the market place. I am happy they mentioned it might be trimmed, but it is a horrible practice to knowingly sell altrered cards that were inappropriately labeled. REA should be ashamed.
Is it reasonable to assume that the consignor and REA discussed this before the item was added to the catalog with its description as "possibly trimmed"? If so, then I don't see the problem - PSA slabs trimmed cards all the time, but PSA are the supposed experts on grading cards, not REA. REA simply gave their opinion on a product.

In my opinion, if REA were to begin a policy of deciding which slabbed items to auction, based on their own opinions (thus overruling the TPA's), possibly demanding that any questionable cards be cracked, then you would have a huge mess. Where would it lead? Would they then refuse to auction a '5' because they thought it should be a '4'? Basically, they would become a TPA of sorts, and that's not their business.

Before the following gets brought up (for those of you who don't have me on ignore), I believe TPA'd autographs are a different discussion.

Last edited by Runscott; 04-13-2013 at 10:46 AM.