View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 10:17 AM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsnstuff View Post
Cool; and THANK YOU; but what does that mean; dropping link manually; Is there anyway to avoid that and do it automatically?; I envision a spreadsheet with thousands of items, eventually. But, hey any help is more than I can do. Thanks.
Dropping the link manually: If you see on his video, he is hard-coding that ebay link and pulling data from that. Ebay has very obvious links, so you can write a loop that replaces it programatically and maybe goes through every link -- like he changed some letter in the link, you could just say "find, replace" in the code and do that. In addition, it's my hunch that while ebay caps you at 200, you could probably go into that link and change the 200 to 3000. MAYBE.

You will want to migrate from a spreadsheet to a database eventually -- again, out of my area of expertise, but NOT THAT HARD and I'd bet the other guy that works in VBA probably has some views on this.

I think what you'd ideally like is to build a python webscraper, write it to a database rather than excel, and then build basic SQL queries to pull down attributes. The SQL is easy, the writing to a database is pretty easy, too. The python web scraper, i have failed building a few times, but I'm sure we could collectively stumble through it to create it.