View Single Post
Old 05-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Dave

Default Question regarding DiMaggio cards..

Hello all... this is my first post to this board and I just want to start by thanking all of the people who have contributed to all of the knowledge and insight shared here. It has really helped me a lot.. Anyway a couple of questions for you guys...

1. I just recently purchased a 1936 Goudey premium Wide pen Joe DiMaggio and Joe McCarthy card graded a 80/6 by SGC. I'm waiting for it to come in the mail as we speak. Anyway I have seen that there are 2 cards of DiMaggio from this set listed by SGC and PSA in their population report. After a lot of research, it appears that the portrait version (creamy) of Joe DiMaggio is in fact from 1937, not 1936. Just wondering if I am missing something here. Does anybody have any insight into this?

2. This is more of a poll question-If, for the sake of this question, You would consider a RC to be card of a player from his rookie year, would the 1936 Goudey be considered a True RC? I noticed that McCarthy/DiMaggio seems to go less at auction then the supposed 1936 (believed to be 1937) portrait. Is this maybe because people think there is really 2 DiMaggios in the set, and one with just DiMaggio would be more coveted than one with Him and McCarthy?

3. If you had you 1000 bucks to spend on one of these cards, which one would you personally take for you collection?

-Psa 5 1939 Play Ball DiMaggio
-Psa 5 1940 Play Ball DiMaggio
-Psa 4 1941 Play Ball DiMaggio
-SGC 70 of the 3 above

I am asking this cause I had a chance at those others but went with the Goudey because 1. I believe it to be one of his RC's, not as "mainstream" as the play balls.. and 2. It is the highest graded version of the Card by either PSA or SGC, and there are no PSA 6's..it looks really clean...

Well any insight you guys would have would be appreciated.. thank you and God bless you all.

Last edited by davetruth; 05-28-2014 at 02:56 PM.