View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Eric Perry

This is from the card shop I frequented as a kid in the early '80s, from when I was about 11 years old through maybe 15 or 16. Somehow, it managed to linger around in my possession for decades, tucked away with grade school report cards, etc.

A few years back, shortly before getting married, I revisited those things and got rid of the unimportant (read, from ex-girlfriends) souvenirs of my younger days. This was benign, though, and survived the purge.

Probably not what the OP was expecting; however, I have sold off my collection and rebuilt it from scratch many times. As such, this is the "card" I have owned the longest.

And it definitely brings me back. While writing this post, I remembered seeing a news article hanging in the window of this card shop during the first year or so I went there. It was about a '52 Mantle selling for (at least, I think...after all, childhood memories can be a bit fuzzy) $3,000 at a recent Christie's auction. Wow...three grand for a baseball card?!?

What a great hobby...and a great thread, in my opinion. Thanks for posting this, bcookie.

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra