Thread: Moral Question
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2004, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Default Moral Question

Posted By: J Levine

As most of you know, I was faced with this dilema just a few weeks ago...I was just myself in the transaction. I told the gentleman I was a collector, not a dealer and that the cards would remain with me. We talked about baseball, autographs, teaching, Pittsburgh, etc. I told him how much I could afford and that it was a fraction of what it was worth. He accepted.

I feel that since she approached him, it is up to him to give her a fair estimate, then offer her what he is willing to spend. She can always say, "no thank you." I hate dealers who are not up front and try to "deal" them a super low figure. If the gentleman I purchased the Playballs from had said, sorry, I think that I could get more from a dealer, I would have said, thanks for letting me look and leave it at that. Come to think of that, I did that with a t-206 Johnson portrait (ex-)not all that long ago...I offered $100 cash at a show for the card and the person turned it down. Do I feel bad, nope...I told him what it was worth to me and that it was probably worth more to a dealer. Oh well.

If you are honest with her and tell her upfront, you might get a great deal (probably at least a good deal). My advice, just be yourself.

-Joshua