View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
I for one can attest to the fact that a complete item, newspaper, guide, etc. is much more valuable and, more importantly, much more collectible if it is intact rather than having an individual piece removed from it. It took me a while but I have learned the hard way when atempting to sell these types of things. Typically, the larger woodcuts, like half-page to full-page do not sufer too much in value but smaller pieces are especially hurt. One exception might be the New York Clipper woodcuts from 1879-80 which Lew Lipset had catalogued years ago and are very rare to find intact with the player bios still attached under the image. IMHO these are very much undervalued and represent the earliest catalogued collectibles for several players including a half-dozen HOF'ers.

Unfortunatley, for display purposes, this often does not work out and that's probably why newspaper collectibles in general do not have a major collector base as compared to cards, photos, etc.
Did you read yesterday where a Tuna (one fish) sold for $763,000? There used to be plenty of large tuna, but they were overfished. Even though they can be replenished (won't be, but could be), the price is now outrageous.

These woodcuts cannot be replenished. There are plenty now, but every time one gets chopped up, there's one less. Some day after we're long gone, there will only be a few that aren't in private collections. Those will be worth a fortune. That's just the way it works - inevitable. We're basically destroying the past for the present, screwing the future. But we'll be dead then, so who cares? <=== irresponsible attitude.