View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post

Although I did have a number of baseball guide book pages encapsulated a little while back, I have come to realize that these pages are better left alone in their original form as part of the guide and the guide books themselves make better collectibles. Of course, the graded pieces are much better for display and since Beckett will not encapsulate cut-outs from these guides but instead full-pages only, I am okay with those collectors that prefer to go that route as Beckett clearly labels these items as such.
Thanks for saying this. Unfortunately, there are so many people willing to buy pictures out of these guides, that they will be chopped up until there isn't a single one left that is not in a private collection. The newest thing is for the seller to state in his auction that the pages were "removed from a damaged guide." This is not always true - I followed his purchase/chop-jobs for a while, and he buys anything he can get cheap, and then chops it up. He doesn't slab them, but instead offers them in small collections of related photos from different years - this is very appealing to collectors, and lucrative to him, but a horrible idea in my opinion.