View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 09:29 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Looking at the checklist. Topps picked 7 of the biggest names in the game and Yount/Mitchell were included as MVPs, Saberhagen/Davis were included as Cy Young award winners and Olson/Walton were included as ROY's

And that's why the checklist has some non elite status as only Yount finished with a great career of those 6 players

We can discuss if they got the 5 biggest names going into the 1990 season correct but that was Topps logic as much as I can deduce. But looking at the other 5 I think with hindsight they had a pretty good clue as to whom they chose in that group.

Rich
I'm not disagreeing with the players, per se. I'm a Reds collector, and the Reds were left out. Eric Davis was absolutely a huge name by 1990, comparable to Bo Jackson. Chris Sabo had a monster year in 88, but got injured in 89... so I understand why he wasn't chosen. I also question leaving Griffey Jr out of this set, as he was a mega hype machine immediately. Will Clark & Kevin Mitchell represents the Giants, who were in the 89 World Series, but there are no Athletics (Canseco and McGwire), no Dodgers (Valenzuela, Gibson, Hersheiser). I'm sure the artist was commissioned before the 89 WS, but it just seems they are missing players who would drive sales. Not having two Giants players could have helped a lot.

Anyway, I still think the artists proof is a cool junk wax idea.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo