View Single Post
Old 02-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Default More on the UD Controversy

Posted By: Richard Simon

SCD Trade Fax has a story today about the Quad Card controversy.
It includes several statements from UD and its president.
Today's fax newsletter from Sports Collectors Digest (SCD) contains a statement from the Upper Deck Company regarding the quad card controversy. The company president Bob Andrews stated "We are disapointed that HBO chose to run a TV segment where a convicted felon was allowed to cast doubt on this card." Mr. Andrews seems to ignore myself, Global Authentication, PSA Quick Opinion, one unnamed but well known authenticator, dealer Seth Boyd, and the grandson of Walter Johnson who have all had problems with 1 or 2 of the autographs on this card. The company issued a statement that avoids any specifics and stated that "We utilize well known and respected vendors, each with many years of experience, to provide autographs for our cut-signature products. Each vendor must provide us with a COA". Well I would be curious to know who provided the following signatures which have been looked at (digital images only) by NUMEROUS autograph dealers, none of whom believes in the authenticity of these autographs.
Upper Deck indicates in their statement that a "premier authenticator" will be retained for future autographs. So the actions of Mr. Jaffe and the story on Real Sports have brought about a change in Upper Deck. Interesting that they call him a felon, yet have now changed their system as a result of his actions.
My question is who authenticated the autographs that are in question now? Were they ever authenticated by a third party after purchase? If so who? Who sold Upper Deck the autographs that are in question now?

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss