View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 09:04 PM
Banned

if it was some of the most high conditioned valuable cards and a very low pop, graded 8, 9 or 10, then maybe not so good to have it signed. otherwise it probably would help.

there is the famous story of halper trading his lajoie goudey high condition card to mastro in return for the same card that was of lesser quality, but signed by lajoie. i think the higher quality card would end up being worth more in the long run.

Another favorite trade happened back in the 1970s at a card show in Dearborn, Michigan. A CBS executive asked Halper and another collector, Bill Mastro, to bring their three most valuable cards. "So I have my cards and Mastro has his," Halper recounts. "Bill looked at my 1933 Goudey Lajoie [Napoleon Lajoie, the Hall of Fame infielder for the Cleveland Indians]. 'Yours is mint and mine is only excellent,' Mastro said, commenting on the grading of the cards. But Mastro's card was autographed. Bill says, 'Boy, this is the best Lajoie card ever.' " Halper proposed an even-up swap of the two cards. Mastro balked. Halper said his offer was good only for the next five minutes. The old squeeze play worked and Mastro said, "OK."

Last edited by travrosty; 07-11-2015 at 09:04 PM.