View Single Post
Old 01-05-2024, 09:41 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Any boxer in the Burdick Collection that is listed in my book with an * would be one I verified in person when I was researching at the Met but had not seen 'in the wild' when I compiled the list. That would be Ryan and Taylor on your redline. There may not have been any offered for sale anywhere nor is there an available image, but they definitely exist. The other cards in my checklist that are in the Met's list also exist. I checked my then-existing checklist against what was there.
Just to be clear, red means no picture proof, not a doubt the card exists or a claim it doesn't. I don't doubt any of the Burdick Collection holdings to exist, I just can't show them, which is the proof positive. Many cards that do not exist have been checklisted by people reporting seeing one (T220 silver Goodman, N162 Dunlap variation, T206 Hustlers, maybe the N269 35 Lannon, and so on and so forth), so I like to take the step of full proof and denoting those that cannot be shown positively. Also, I just want to see what photo they used and the card looked like out of nothing but curiosity. Figure the odds aren't insignificant somebody might know someone at the MET that would be willing to put it on the list of things to add to the website as they do with thousands of other cards.

This is the best I could find for the card of Mr. Sparrow Golden, the one I was able to most recently cross off my target list but for which a better image would be desirable. While the photos used are pirated and they haven't aged that well with the massive fading problems, it's a shame most of the subjects are so tough because it's a wonderful chronicle of 1860's-1880's boxing photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1960.jpg (174.1 KB, 68 views)