View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 05:01 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Investing in active players has always been a crap shoot. I would have bet the house the Dale Murphy would be a Hall of Famer. Griffey needed a couple more Griffey-like seasons to be a true upper echelon HOFer instead of just the best of his generation. Still, I am tempted to pick up a couple of nice Mike Trout rookies. Only my extreme caution on pitchers keeps me away from a Kershaw. Honestly, I am not sure that some of the regular rookies of guys like Donaldson, Arrietta, Sale, Cabrera, Staunton, etc. may not be good long term investments (meaning returning 4 to 10 times your money). They don't make them by the millions any more. Of course whether anyone will ever get back to caring about the non-auto jersey numbered to 25 cards is anybody's guess. And for every one you hit, you'll end up with some Joey Hamiltons.
Todd- What killed Griffey's values were the feel in 1999-2000 he was definitely going to break Aaron's home run record. Keep in mind, this was also because most people did not put him in the category of a cheater (steroids, etc...) Had injuries not plagued that guy, I really believe he would have broke the record, and his cards would have gone even higher. I was hoping that his voting percentage in the HOF would have brought back a little value in his rookies, not sure it has though...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 11-01-2016 at 05:09 PM.