View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Default SURVEY..is your T206 Joe Doyle a rare variation ?

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

We are all familiar with the scarcest T206 card....the "Slow Joe"....Doyle N.Y. Nat'l.

But, how many T206er's are aware that there is another variation of the regular Joe Doyle card ?
In the close-up scan here of the Joe Doyle card, is seen a printer's mark just to the right of the dot
following the "Y" (pointer identifies this mark). However minor this mark may appear, it exactly lines
up with the start of the "N" in the very scarce "Nat'l" variation. It very slightly drops below the line
of the "Doyle, N.Y." lettering, as does the letter "N" in the word "Nat'l" in the scarce variation.

Furthermore, this mark is seldom seen. When it is, it has been my experience that the Doyle cards
(that I've seen it on) have Piedmont 350 backs. I have yet to see this mark on Doyle cards with
the Sweet Cap & Sovereign 350, EPDG, Old Mill, Polar Bear, or Tolstoi backs.
And, of course, the Doyle "Nat'l" only exists with a Piedmont 350 back.

So, is this a "hint" of the "Nat'l" printing ? Or, only a remnant mark of the removal of the word "Nat'l" ?

I am curious what your opinions are of this seldom seen tiny mark ? So, let's do a SURVEY on this to
see if my observation is correct, that this strange mark appears ONLY on Piedmont 350 Joe Doyle's.

If I have tweeked your interest, check-out your Joe Doyle cards closely and post your inputs here.....
and, please identify the back of your card.

Consider this, if my speculation here is correct....this card then represents a "poor man's abbreviated"
example of a Joe Doyle error card.

Thanks for your interest, and let's get your responses.
TED Z

.................................................. ....../\............