View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015, 02:13 PM
John

Great point about the condition issues. That's what actually led me to the post was looking at sales of mid grade examples for 2K+. I don't even follow the really high grade sales - I think some PSA 10 HOF RCs have really done well within the last year - Tony Dorsett, etc., but I don't recall the details. I have a similar theory about the 35 Chicle Bull Tosi. Theoretically, I don’t think it should sell for more than the other high numbers (Tosi arguably has the least “star power” in the set), but in a case where there aren’t enough high grade ones to go around, it makes sense for the prices of the mid and low grade examples to be bid up. Although I could also argue that high grade collectors would be patient and just wait for a better one to come along.

Interesting thing about SB III - I actually watched recently. We knew from the box score Matt Snell's numbers looked good. Watching it confirmed - he had a great game - one of those games with a lot of solid runs as opposed to breaking a couple long ones (His long was only 12). He ran hard and had several strings of 3 consecutive runs and 5 runs within 7 plays - he moved the chains and was definitely a workhorse. Interestedly, the announcers gave Namath a decent amount of credit for the runs! Maybe that was common then since the QB was calling plays. I don’t think you would hear that today though (Another 1st down for Murray - Romo is sure making great decisions. Wait, huh?). Also announcers kept on saying “red dog”. I’m pretty sure the word “blitz” wasn’t uttered once. What really was the game changer to me though was the interceptions. The Jets picked off NFL MVP Morrall 3 times and when Unitas got in and at one point (3rd qtr with the game's outcome still in doubt) it felt like he had a TD drive going, they picked him off too! And Namath - definitely left the "larger than life" persona off the field in my opinion. He seemed to take what the defense gave him, used the running backs as outlets, recognized blitzes (I mean red dogs) and threw to the open man, didn't force anything. He played a smart game, but it definitely wasn't bombs away. He connected on one long one to Sauer which was a key play in one of the FG drives and missed on maybe 1 or 2 deep passes that I recall.

Difficult to think of another perfect storm football card. Probably a good thing for my wallet Rocky Graziano from 48 Leaf boxing.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 04-10-2015 at 02:40 PM.