View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Default Why do people hide behind a screen name

Posted By: Bob

The Simpson comic guy stereotype is not a good one based on what I have seen. When I was in Chicago I only saw a couple of those guys, mostly I saw guys who were average weight, dressed fairly fashionably for the heat and convention grind, and were very un-nerdy. Maybe I was hanging out with an atypical group of guys but the guys I was with didn't fit that stereotype at all.
I also know where T206 is coming from and respect his request for privacy. While I am constantly interacting via email and posts on this board, I am not someone who interacts by phone regularly with other collectors and prefers a little bit of the hermit life style when it comes to collecting cards. Other than some chats with leon and Tim Newcomb, I rarely interact personally that way. I don't think T206 and I are alone in that respect, I have several collector friends who I have never met or only met one time who appear to desire the same anonymity in their personal lives when it comes to card collecting. That's not a snobbery thing, just a personal preference...