Thread: The card
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 01:51 PM

I liked Hal. He was, and I assume still is, a successful Florida lawyer able to buy many expensive cards. Not many people I knew who could drop $70,000 on one baseball card. He also seemed like a regular guy and was able to joke around. I heard he sold his collection as part of divorce, and that's the last the baseball card world heard of him. He was only a couple of years older than me so I assume he's alive and well , just not collecting baseball cards.

'Mint Condition' by Dave Jameson is a recent and good book about the baseball card industry, covering the usual ground. I liked it better than The Card. It has great info and many of the card pioneers-- stuff I never knew before. The Card tries to be tabloid newspaper controversial, while Mint Condition is more of an objective history.

Hey, I always enjoyed the Mr. Mint books. A lot of bragging and tall stories going on, but still entertaining. Call them entertainments like pulp fiction novels. You can say a lot of stuff about Mr Mint, but he's knowledgeable and experienced.

Last edited by drc; 04-07-2012 at 02:25 PM.