View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 03:25 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Default Horrible forgeries not limited to baseball

I don't collect baseball autographs, but I do enjoy looking at the various signature threads. It is actually enjoyable to see when Chris W., Steve Z, Shelly, Chuck, Brendan opine about a Mantle, Mays, Ruth, Jeter and others. I don't get it right when I try to guess, but fun none the less. That being said, there are clowns and a-holes who forge not just the 4 major sports. I have not seen many, but I just ran across a blatantly horrible Jesse Owens on ebay. Even though his signature changed over the years, there was a consistency to them. If you know his signature, you can get a feel for when it was signed. Many of the ones I see, I feel are overpriced, but as with any signature, people will try to get what they can. There are enough real ones on ebay that I don't get why someone would bid on this. It has quite a few bids with a few days left. I suspect that this seller has a few other forgeries and would be interest to see if you baseball people can confirm that. Is his Mantle baseball a 'banana' Mantle. I was also suspicious about his Hornsby. Take a look, the forgery on top and two legitimate Owens, from 1969 and 1975.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JESSE-OWENS...19.m1438.l2649
Attached Images
File Type: jpg owens2.jpg (9.1 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg Owens,-Jesse-(1969).jpg (11.5 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg Owens,-Jesse-(1975).jpg (16.7 KB, 228 views)

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 05-19-2018 at 03:34 PM.