View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 10:18 PM
Michael
Michae! Sh@cter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
but you're using contemporary examples which isn't making the same point Leno is. Call me 50 years after the last Star Wars movie or Star Trek movie is in theaters.
I will concede your point only slightly, maybe I should expand a little more.

Babe Ruth will transcend sports for years to come, but will always be remembered in by sports fans as his name will be brought up forever. Babe Ruth expanded the Yankee fan base as he created more Yankee fans, which the kids of those Yankee fans became Yankee fans more times over than not. So there are now grandkids and great grandkids of those Yankee fans who watched him play.

The Star Wars and Star Trek franchises are doing the same things, they are just not as old. I used to go to the shows which have gotten only bigger over the years. Yes the last one I went to, Harry Potter had a bigger turn out than did the Star Wars and Star Trek sessions did. But the Star Wars and Star Trek session were filled with parents bringing their kids. The Harry Potter had the kids bring their parents to them.

My point is I don't think Star Wars or Star Trek are going away. I think they will have more movies or series to come still, as long as they make money they will continue to come. I don't think the collectibles will catch Babe Ruth, but I think the original stuff will continue to go up in value if it is rare.

I don't think that Star Wars or Star Trek or Harry Potter will transcend as much as Babe Ruth will. However, more people of today can probably name more movie stars of today than they can their own politicians!