View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 06:52 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default T206 Reference....Reflections, etc..... A Tale of Two Unique UZIT cards' "finds"

* * * * * * * * * * * * T206 Reference, Theory's, Surveys, etc. * * * * * * * * * * * *

1st Tale......
My old-time friend, Ralph, discovered the Herzog UZIT in a collection he acquired (circa 1990's) in his hometown in the Great Smoky Mountain area of North Carolina.
He knew what kind of a "nut" I am about T206's with scarce backs, so we did a nice trade. But, he did not know how scarce this Herzog card was, until I subsequently
informed him that it was the only known Herzog with a UZIT back. So we arrived at an additional cash amount (to him) to complete the deal. As of this date, this card
remains unique.

2nd Tale...…
About two years ago, I acquired a T206 collection from an long-time collector who attended Philly area shows (circa 1970's). He had acquired a small T206 collection at
the Philly Show which included this McGraw / UZIT card.
The McGraw (glove) card is in the "Exclusive 12" group of the 460-only series. So far, only 5 of these 12 subjects have been found with the UZIT back. And each one of
these 5 subjects are unique T206 UZIT cards. This front / back combo is extremely scarce with the Exclusive 12 group.

T206's with the UZIT back were issued in the Spring of 1911. The UZIT and AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 cards were printed together at the tail-end of the T206 press runs.

It's my opinion that the UZIT back is 2nd to the BROAD LEAF 460 in terms of scarcity (normally printed T206 T-brands).

58 subjects with the UZIT back have been confirmed to date (Sept 7, 2018).

350/460 series...............................28 subjects

Berger
Bradley (bat)
Burch (fielding)
Cobb (bat off shoulder)
Conroy (bat)
Crawford (bat)
Jennings (one hand)
Jennings (two hands)
Jordan (bat)
Lajoie (bat)
Lake (no ball-St Louis)
Leach (cap)
Leifield (bat)
Manning (pitching)
McQuillan (bat)
Mullin (bat)
Overall (yellow sky)
Pelty (vertical)
Pfeister (throwing)
F. Smith (Chicago & Boston)

Steinfeldt (bat)
Tinker (bat off)
Wagner (bat on right shoulder)
Doc White (pitching)
Wilhelm (bat)
Willetts
Willis (bat)
Wiltse (pitching)

I am 100% confident that the above list of 28 of the 350/460 subjects is complete (as it coincides with the confirmed list of AMERICAN BEAUTY 460 subjects for
the 350/460 series).

460-only series..............................30 subjects

Abbaticchio (blue sleeves)
Ball (Cleveland)
Bell (follow thru)
Bridwell (portrait-cap)
Howie Camnitz (arms up)
Harry Camnitz (arms side)
Chance (bat)
Chase (trophy)
Crandall (portrait-cap) **
Frill
Geyer **
Herzog (Boston)
Hummel **
Lake (ball-St Louis)
Latham
Marquard (follow thru)
McGraw (portrait-cap)
McGraw (glove at hip) **
Merkle (throwing)
Murray (portrait)

Oldring (bat)
Overall (blue sky)
Schaefer (Washington)
Schlei (portrait)
Schlei (bat)
Schulte (back view)
Seymour (portrait)
Sheckard (glove) **
Tinker (bat on)
Wiltse (portrait-cap)

** Exclusive 12

The 460-only series list is still a work in progress....I expect that as many as 16 more UZIT cards from this series will eventually be discovered.

TED Z