View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 07:42 PM
D Brown

Default Mr. Mint jr.

Back in the early 1980s, I was a 12 or 13 year old and obsessed with cards. My dad got into the hunt, and he would place wanted ads in the local Bay Area penny savers. Had a number of really good finds, and of course it was cheap. Those were the days.

One night we went to visit an older teenager in Atherton or Palo Alto or nearby - fancy neighborhood, fancy house. According to him, his dad was Alan Rosen, and he would give him cards when he saw him. (Divorced.) The kid had a sense of the value of things but was still selling at reasonable prices. What I remember buying - this was a long time ago - was a 1969 Super Reggie Jackson (still a favorite card, it’s so pure) and all four T206 Cobbs, in a nice 4-window plexiglass screw-down holder. We paid him $225 for the four. The green one was a bit rough, some creasing in it, the other 3 were what we would have called excellent back then, or vg-ex+.

Should have kept them, of course. It took a couple years to sell them, finally got $700 or $750 for the four. I might take a run at the Monster if I had kept them.

David