View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 02:09 PM
Doug Goodman

I'm from north of the San Francisco / Oakland area. All of my friends were Giants and A's fans. I probably was too.

In the spring of 1974 there was a story about Steve Garvey in Sports Illustrated, 11 year old me decided that he was my favorite player, which meant that the Dodgers had to be my favorite team.

Later that year, he was named a starter to the All-Star team as a write-in, the only time it has ever happened. Obviously helping my case to my friends about how great he was. Then he was name MVP of the game, which made him THE best player in baseball.

Then came October. Dodgers vs A's. My dad somehow got nosebleed seats to game 5 of the World Series, and after having taken my mom the previous year, took me that year.

My friends who had harassed me all year, tortured me even more as the WS approached (and by that point they were ALL A's fans). Then "my" team was defeated, the last game being the one I was at, and there was no going back. Dodger fan for life.

When I got old enough to drive, I got my thrills from wearing my Dodger jacket to Candlestick for many a game, with no issues.

Later in life, Dodger Stadium security would gave me shit for wearing a "Pitch to Barry" shirt under my Dodgers Hawaiian shirt.

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 03-22-2019 at 02:09 PM.