View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 01:17 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
Lance perhaps I didn't make my point clearly with my initial post. Your comparison with smashing trophies and cutting up jerseys is an entirely different kettle of fish and not at all what I trying to communicate. The practice of destroying something and selling off bits that look NOTHING like the original is horrible. My analogy was all about collectors having an opportunity to enjoy a rare piece of memorabilia. If he found a box of tickets already detached we wouldn't be lamenting the fact that they weren't in the original book. We would all be celbrating the "find" and lining up to buy them (if the asking price wasn't completely INSANE like what he is asking). If he found a box of cut up jersey bits or smashed trophies we would be sad. See the difference Lance?
Yes, I do see a difference between cutting up a jersey and parting out the ticket book. I also see a difference between the ticket book and splitting up a trophy collection. To me, the ticket book is somewhere in the middle.

Part of the attraction to me of items like this is the wonder I feel that the tickets were not torn out of the books back in the day, and have survived intact to the present day despite the original intent of their manufacture being to have been torn out of the book and used by attendees of the games. It's the same feeling I would have about an unopened pack of 1952 Topps cards, action figures still in their original package, a case of vintage baseballs sealed in their original boxes, etc etc etc. Would any of those things be enjoyable out of their original packaging or if they had been used as intended by their respective manufacturers? Sure. But to me, there is a certain mystique that comes with something that was once meant to be used and thrown away surviving for over 100 years completely intact and unaltered from its original state.

You are clearly taking the stance that the more people that can enjoy something the better, which is a valid viewpoint, but doesn't diminish the sadness that those who would prefer to see the item intact feel when they hear of it being broken up like this. To some, knowing that a bit of history exists wholly intact, whether it's in our own collection or not, is more satisfying than owning a piece of it.