View Single Post
Old 02-18-2016, 07:31 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
I can relate; I'm starting to think Clyde Vollmer and Eddie Pellagrini either really didn't like their portraits in the 53T set, or they had a feud with Gerry Dvorak. There are plenty of Topps and Bowman cards from other years signed by the two, as well as an abundance of 53T archives, but the originals never come to market. But I'll keep an eye out for Kerr and Reiser for you.

Reiser was wildly popular, and I am sure he will turn up. Touted as one of the top prospects ever in the major leagues, his career was plagued with injuries from going %150. That being said, I'm sure fans lined up to get his autograph. Is it a short print or high number in the set? He did pass in '81 so the TTM craze was still in it's embryonic stage.

Certain cards of players of tough players like Sherm Lollar show up on 52 and 53 topps, but try to find a 53 Bowman! Gil Hodges can be a bear to find on any card, but I have seen just 3 1952 topps and only one 55 topps!

Funny that although Pelligrini lived for a while his 52 high number is very scare. He passed in 2006 and collectors are setting the benchmark for ttm "crazse" at about 2002. You'd think even being a high number one example would come to market! I also had a bit of a time finding Vollmer, but I have now seen 3-4 examples.

Not only did it take me forever to find this one, I had to trade a signed 62 Mantle All Star for it! This was the "authentic" in the pop reports making it just 1/3. In the short span his signed cards were tracking on SCN, only ONE 52 and ONE 53 topps was recorded as signed, along with many reprints, etc.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors