View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Default If you could go back in Time

Posted By: Joe_G.

Many great ones to pick from, I'd be happy with any of them. But here are a couple that would be neat . . .

5/31/86 Detroit @ New York, 2nd game of double header. After NY won a close game 1 due to collision that broke Jimmy Manning's wrist late in the game, NY fans rejoiced at breaking Detroit's 15 game winning streak and the stands were overflowing for the 2nd game. It was estimated that many of the patrons jumped the fence, even so, over 20k paid to legally enter the stands. It took horse-back mounted police over an hour to clear the field of the overflowing crowd to allow the game to begin. To quote the New York Times, "Over 20,000 persons had paid an admission fee of 50 cents each to witness the New York Giants and the crack club of Detroit, and the field was one sea of faces. Gray-haired men who have been ardent admirers of the national sport from their boyhood days all agreed that it was the largest crowd that ever witnessed a game. One of this class, James McDowell, who was interested in the old Mutual and Atlantic Clubs, said he witnessed all the famous games played on the Union and Capitoine Grounds and at the Elysian Fields, and, to use his expression, the crowds that witnessed these contests were not a "marker" to the one assembled to see the New Yorks and Detroits play."

Detroit's Lady Baldwin would out pitch NY's Smiling Mickey Welch to win 4-1.

6/12/86 Detroits 7 homerun game at home against St. Louis, a record that wouldn't be broken until the Yankees performance on June 18th, 1939. Pretzel Getzien would get the win over Sweeney, 14 - 7.

Later that week, 6/19/86, Detroit would host Chicago at home in front of the largest crowd to watch a game in Detroit. ~12,750 fans would watch a close game fall in Chicago's favor (5-4) when a couple long balls hit over the centerfield ropes were ruled ground rule doubles. Detroit's Recreation Park was the largest in the league and it was decided to move the fences in to make room for the large crowd. So a rope now defined the transition from playing field to the stands and instead of a homerun, a ground rule double was awarded for balls hit over the rope. Detroit hit several this way and wound up costing them the game. The ropes disappeared for games 2 & 3 of the series, both of which Detroit would win against King Kelly & Cap Anson.

Photo from the 6/19/86 game between Detroit & Chicago. Note, Detroit is dressed in an all white uniform reserved for "lady day" games, complete with all white Cardigan jackets.

Another interesting game would be Lady Baldwin's 40th win on 9/27/86 against Boston on a two hit performance. Boston managed one unearned run in their 6-1 loss but little else. A mere 1,628 fans would pay to witness this historic event. As such, I feel fortunate to have a surviving score card from that game. Lady would be the first of 3 lefties to hit 40 wins in a season, the other two being from the American Association (Ed Morris & Matt Kilroy). Baldwin's dominance in 1886 was arguably the best ever by a south paw. His 42 wins in 1886 tied him with HOFer Tim Keefe (right hander) who had his best season in 1886 as well. However Lady Baldwin required only 53 games to hit 40 wins while Keefe required 62. Similarly, Ed Morris & Matt Kilroy needed more games still to hit 40 wins. Lady would lead the league in shutouts, fewest walks+hits/9 innings, etc. Note that Getzien was initially slated to pitch that day but Baldwin was given the nod.

I was going to list some of the 1887 games as well but I'm over my time quota on this thread. A World Championship game in 1887 sure would be neat.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski