View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Default If you could go back in Time

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Anyone reading this thread should read Darryl Brock's book, If I Never Get Back.

A great uncle of mine was in the car business. Dodge and Buick dealer for half a century, with my grandfather. Granddad was indifferent to baseball. Uncle Paul was a fan. He once told me of riding the train from southern Kentucky up to Detroit in the early 20s. He and another fellow were going to pick up 2 cars and drive them back to Kentucky. In Detroit he managed to get to the ball park. He saw Walter Johnson strike out Ty Cobb, and saw Cobb get a hit, and steal a base....

Any of the Cub Giant games from 06 to about 1911 would be fun. Walter Johnson vs Smokey Joe Wood would be good. Those 1905 WS games... Merkle's game. Hub Perdue's best ML game, his opening day 3 hit shutout in 1912 over Mathewson and the Giants, I'd like that, the newspapers didn't cover it much, though, they wrote about the Titantic instead. 9-21-34, Dizzy has a no hitter for 8 innings against Brooklyn, wins with a 3 hit shutout, then in the second game Daffy/Paul pitches his no hitter... that would have been a day. Don Larsen's WS no hitter, the last game of the 1955 WS, the only WS won by the Brooklyn Dodgers; and game 7 in 1960, watching Maz.

I'd love all of that.