View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 10:29 AM
Steven

Heritage makes all their cards look like that...we'll just call it "nuclear" clean, and yes, definitely the same card.

45 graded copies on record of the card, but there are crosses and cards that were simply broke out like mine...yes, I freed a 1914 CJ Matty.

Why did it go for what it did? Someone else started a thread on this recently and I will reiterate what I said before. Leon states that in collectibles that demand trumps all and we see this all the time. So there are set collectors, they want one. There are HOF collectors, they want one. There are master set collectors than can go on the cheaper side with 15s, but they still need the 14 Matty. Then there are folks like Jeff who collect Cobb and Chase that made the decision he wanted one.

The 1914 Matty is THE ultimate CJ, hands down. At one point the Chance card was actually more valuable than the Matty and Cobb overtook both of them for a while and then Jackson overtook all of them. The Matty has become one of the biggest cards in the hobby, prices have soared, corrected, whatever you want to call it. I don't think the price is going south any time soon.