View Single Post
Old 02-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Absolutely be mad as hell. It doesn't appear to be a grossly abused piece of mail [I had one once where the PSA holder broke in transit and when the buyer sent it back with my original envelope there were freakin' tire tracks on the envelope]; unlike the broken bat above, this is not that sort of situation. It is a piece of glass; common sense dictates that you don't ship a piece of glass between pieces of cardboard in a flat mailer, you have to bubble wrap and box. And it is the seller's fault entirely for being a cheapskate on shipping. I recently had a similar issue where the seller decided to ship cheap instead of correct and it ruined the item. I do not know why it is so hard to pack something properly. Some of these sellers [allegedly] are professionals. I am just a weekend warrior but I never send out an item without proper packaging. It doesn't take any more time to do it right. It does sometimes cost a bit more in postage but I factor the extra $0.50 into the opening price or the shipping charge.

It isn't the money when it has happened to me--I get refunds via the complaint process with Paypal [at least it is good for that]--it is the damage done to the items unnecessarily that irks me. As Jay Wolt says, we don't own these things, we just hold them for a while. We are the custodians of historical artifacts in a small way, and I feel really bad whenever something I am holding gets damaged, especially when it is something that is irreplaceable, like a glass negative. There goes one more team image from our collective baseball historical database because someone decided to save a few bucks on shipping.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-06-2014 at 09:34 AM.