View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 11:47 AM

Default '51 Mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
When do any of you first remember seeing these available for sale/auction? When were they added to the standard catalog? Not a stretch to think someone "created these" in the past 20 years. Anyone have one who is or knows a photo paper expert?
Howard,

I had contacted General Mills archives and they stated they were not aware that they issued these. It is not altogether surprising since they archives had started in 1980 and the person I spoke with was certain that they did not have all available knowledge. However, they did have knowledge of issuing a set of color pictures with a metal frame as a separate mail in redemption. You can find these on eBay.

One of the earlier auctions suggested the '51 Wheaties Premiums were "liberated" along with some perfect examples of the boxes, from the issuing company. I do not remember the exact wording, but with some digging I am sure I can find the exact phrasing. This really doesn't pin down the year any better, but it does leave open the possibility that this may not be a General Mills issue.

Z Wheat