View Single Post
Old 03-17-2016, 05:38 PM
I@n Cl@rke

I tend to agree with the OP and subject line, and I definitely don't dislike qualifiers as much as some others. I think anything that helps me better specify the condition of the card is beneficial. I thought the old Beckett breakdown was a good idea... and a nice thing about PSA qualifiers is that when I see, for example a 6MK card listed on eBay/AH, I immediately know that the card has MK (due to pen/pencil or eraser), however given the "6", know it doesn't have any hidden wrinkles, tiny patches of paper loss, and likely nice sharp corners. If in turn that grade is just shown as a blanket "1.5", I have no idea if any of those other tiny/hidden flaws (invisible by viewing scan) may be present, in addition to the said mark.

Again, anything that better helps me determine the condition of the card is good IMO. May be difficult to some for pricing/valuation purposes, but gauging re-sale value is generally not my concern.

Here's an example of a qualified card I was totally happy with (one of my favorites overall). If no qualifier, and graded a straight 3 or 4, I may have been suspicious of wrinkles or other. As is, it's super sharp and clean aside from centering, which I don't mind and that little printing dot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1952 Topps Jackie Robinson.jpg (74.6 KB, 358 views)

Last edited by itjclarke; 03-17-2016 at 05:38 PM.