View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 04:18 AM
Administrator

Default Jackson 90-1 SGC 5.5 in last night's Leland auction

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

JEFF L....et al

The more I "mull" over this ridiculous 77K figure, the more it troubles me. And, this is why....
I am strictly a Sportscard set collector, BB, FB, & Basketball, and to me this Joe Jackson
card is just one of 120 cards in the E90-1 set. A fascinating and certainly a real challenging
set to put together. Now, a $$$$$ figure like this will undoubtly discourages 99% of any future
set collectors out there. For, it sets a precedent that will "trickle-down" to even a less than Vg
card of Jax being unaffordable for most. If I ever had any intentions of collecting a 2nd set, that
idea is definitely dashed, now. This card does not merit such $$$$$ price....it is not a rare card

One might argue that the Wagner, Plank, Magie or Joe Doyle cards' values do not discourage col-
lector's from putting together 520-card T206 sets; but, those 4 cards are legimate scarce cards
and many are content to live without them or have their reprints.

This same scenario in recent years, abnormally Hi $$$$ figures for Rookies and Major star cards,
has really put a "dent" into set collecting and I have seen this across the spectrum in pre-War
and post-War set collecting.

Just my subjective thoughts on this subject.

TED Z