View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 01:27 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
I noticed this even with the Collegiate pennants which were probably the highest-end made back then. My Yankees pennant seems to have Uncle Sam very close to the spine, much more so than on the two or three others I've seen (including your new pickup). It looks like a difference of almost a whole inch or so. But then there is more room to spare by the tip. It's just imperfection in printing or cutting I guess, like on mine the whole design was moved to the left.
Yeah.... the guy in charge of cutting and screening these was probably making about 35 cents per hour. Some are amazingly exact and consistent, but others have some definite variance.

Since these pennants cost under a buck back in the day, I don't think the attention to detail was always stellar. But that's part of why I love them so much. They're all just a bit different, and oozing with personality. Today's "stiff as a board" pennants are all precisely the same size, but that's not much fun, is it? And today's boring/generic/corporate logos cannot hold a candle to those of the past!

Last edited by perezfan; 12-19-2019 at 01:28 PM.