View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 02:35 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Really hate seeing this type of caustic banter on net54. One of the best things about this site is the ability to help and educate others. That way, we keep the hobby thriving/strengthen its future/retain a strong collector base. It seems like just yesterday that I was on the "asking" end rather than the "helping" end. Many of us are now dying off, or are selling-off due to retirement, layoffs and downsizing. So I think its admirable (and good for the hobby) to help out the newer/younger collectors...

True, the OP could be doing more of the legwork and necessary research prior to posting. That goes without saying... especially when trying to "steal" something purportedly game-used like this. But this is a difficult area for any collector (regardless of his/her experience). Game-used Gloves from the '50s did not have the same characteristics as those made today. They were not as personalized, no names were embroidered into the leather, etc. So I felt this was a valid post.

That said... I would be very hesitant to buy something like this without some specific provenance, a family letter or a photo-match. There are just too many "bad eggs" out there, and high-end gloves were not exclusive to professional ballplayers.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!