View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Frank Wakefield

When comparing statistics, an oft overlooked statistic is that of which years played. In failing to recognize the chronology of the game, it is easy to be deceived by differences in a particular statistic.

Dead ball, lively ball, bat physics, dirty balls, 154 game seasons, 162 game seasons, that one 140 game season, war years, night games, mode of travel, tight wound baseballs, lowering the mound, and much, much more.

I'm a big fan of Ed Reulbach. I love reading Mr. James' article about him in his first Historical Abstract. Reulbach was at the pinnacle of the Players' Association, and when the owners sorted out the Federal League threat, then Ed saw limited action, and it seems obvious to me, from what I've read in old Baseball Magazine articles, that the owners kept him on the bench most of the time. Otherwise, Ed would have added enough wins to get close to 200, and he'd probably be in the Hall. Smokey Joe Wood was a dominant player. White, Donlin, Cravath, O'Doul, Travis, and Dahlen were great players. Mr. McGraw held Fred Merkle in high regard, even after his infamy. Larry Doyle was a great player, notwithstanding the attempt at comparing him to players eras removed. In the mid 20s there was a shortstop at Pittsburgh, Glenn Wright, and for a few years he was perceived as one of the bright stars of the game, across both leagues. His brightness flickered and dimmed, and now few people, even here at this board, are aware he played the game.

Ruth could not have hit 60 home runs in 1903, not with the long, slender 36" or 37" bats of the day, and the soft, dirty baseballs that were kept in play. Not even a juiced Bonds could have done it in 1903.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 01-19-2011 at 08:06 AM.