View Single Post
Old 06-16-2016, 12:56 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Touche...I forgot about Clemente rookie. Mantle rookie is a gimme. That one should ALWAYS go up, no matter the market. These other ones are plain nuts.
I don't disagree with your underlying premise, Bobby, but think its a question of how fast these desireable cards (most especially in higher grades) should be going up. A really good collectible generally is capable of 12% compounded annually, with even larger returns in the short run (15% to 24% or so, in the earlier going). It then slows down with regard to its rate of appreciation as it's value rises into what most of us might call the stratosphere, generally to less than 10% compounded annually. But to me, thanks to the info supplied by Leon and the other knowledgeable posters, you aren't going to see prices doubling on even key, desirable cards within a year or so. In coins and cars, that has traditionally indicated a flood of well-healed investors into the field, with a bust following the boom shortly afterward. Q. David Bowers' books on investing and collecting rare coins are a recommended reference, as he has been involved as a collector, dealer and consummate expert in the field since the '50's, studied the far lengthier coin hobby trends exhaustively, and is more than well familiar with the cause and effects of collecting trends.

Best of luck to you in your collecting always,

Larry