View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 AM

Default Congrats on bat, et al

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth-gehrig View Post
I love this bat! It came from Pennsylvania. It's approximately 6ft tall, solid, and retains it's original appearance and finish. I've only seen one other that was smaller. I had assumed this was a storefront sign displayed in front of a sporting goods store. After I had bought it the guy said it came from a baseball bat factory and had been displayed there. As you can see it was displayed from the handle end hanging down. I won't alter the originality of the piece one bit like drilling holes, etc but I want to display the bat horizontally with some old leather straps.
Michael/Ruth-Gehrig, Congrats on that bat....muat have been a tall porch to hang it vertical...I agree with the leather straps or what ever to hang it...you're going the right way to not alter it from it's original state, if possible.

Photobucket

http://www.sportsantiques.com/pg4brimstory.htm
I saw another similar one last May at Brimfield which I addressed in the story I wrote. See link to it above, which has multiple photos...Mat, whoa that's a big'un...I shoulda known you'd have one being the folk art guy you are.

In other news...went to the monthly Alameda show today...got there late...basically just looking for eBay fodder...found a big'ol Americana engraving titled "Distinguished Americans - In a meeting of the New York Historical society" c1854 for $25.00 including the huge plastic sleeve...in poor condition with stains and tears, and trimmed...typical lotta band for the buck/won't make jack on eBay find...A nice copy runs about $1,400.00...lucky if it breaks $50.00 on eBay...why do I get invloved?

32 3/4" x 25 3/4"
Photobucket

Photobucket

Half way thru the show I spotted two big blow up photos, one of Ruth the other Gerhig...guy said he just sold them...had been asking $75.00 each all day...sold them for $40.00 each...looked like maybe from the 60's-70's so at least they had a little age...the Gerhig one was what caught my attention....never seen that shot before...

Photobucket

Photobucket