View Single Post
Old 08-21-2002, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Default USA &PRO grading services Anybody???

Posted By: David

Joe,

My reccomendation is don't focus on the holder and, instead, find good sellers. The key to good collecting is to find a few base sellers (often including normal collectors) who you know and trust and are knowledgeable. Just finding one or two good sellers will mean a lifetime of good cards and satisfying deals, whether the cards are graded or not. Then you can branch out to others sellers you don't know as you feel neccesary. There are several people on this board who would fit this bill as people you want to buy from. Personally, I have a few sellers who I swear by -- though I'm not a card collector, so their identities won't be of use for you.

At least as you start, avoid high grade cards. Lower grade cards (Vg, VgEx, Ex, etc) are less likely to be altered (trimmed, etc), and any trimming is usually obvious. Also, start off by buying resonably price cards. Save the $500 Ruths and $600 Cobbs for a later date.

While I understand that there is a practical and prudent use for graded cards, I think they are WAY overused, and become a trap for begginers. Many people blindly follow holders like the do the latest fashion craze or hot rock singer. As the saying goes, buy the card not the holder. A good card never goes out of style.

While I do not buy graded cards myself, the most prominant graders of vintage cards are PSA, SGC, BVG (Beckett, don't buy BCCG) and GAI. Avoid others, unless you have special knowledge that they qualified.

Best of luck