View Single Post
Old 06-14-2017, 07:01 PM
Rob

Decided to go with a spine transplant on this one. Didn't want to risk bleach on the green and I had an era appropriate white spine in my closet.

I did a little internet research on local tailors and seamstresses...read reviews, etc. Decided to try one that's right down the road from my house. When I called to explain what I'd be bringing in, I was little nervous to hear an Asian woman on the line. Wasn't sure she would grasp what I was going for...wasn't sure how vintage sports pennant would translate...but she said sure bring it in.

When I got there I explained what I wanted. I didn't want it to look new. I didn't want it to look like a repair. I brought in a nice example for her to compare. Then I left. For the next 48 hours I had visions of everything that could go wrong. But to my surprise, she got it completely. When I saw it, I was very happy. Then she pointed out that she purposely sewed the spine on a little crooked, as the original spine had been....so a second set of holes wouldn't be visible. She totally got it and nailed. I told her she'd be seeing more "flags" (as she called it" in the coming weeks.