View Single Post
Old 01-03-2017, 01:29 PM
Rob

Default Need opinions - pro and con - and maybe a photo match?

I just picked up an item that I thought long and hard about. This is purported to be a travel case once owned by Bobby Bonds (SF Giants 1968-74). I always liked Bobby...a great player who never realized his potential due to both a drinking problem and the huge shadow cast by Willie Mays. Bobby would have become baseball's first ever 40-40 man in 1973 if not for homerun #40 being lost to a rainout.

Before purchasing this item, I reached out to 5-6 Net54'ers who either collect this kind of thing or collect from this time period. Mostly due to their positive responses, I pulled the trigger. My major concern had been that this case looks much older than late 60s to early 70s.

Here are some of the responses that eased my misgivings...

"Why would someone fake a piece like this? There are far easier things to fake, which would yield far more money. So my inclination is to say it's legit, without knowing any history or details. I guess that's not a ringing endorsement, so suppose you should just go with your gut. It's pretty cool and obviously unique."

"1. It is not uncommon to find teams using travel trunks manufactured in the 1930s and 1940s into the 1960s and 1970s. I know this to be the case with the Reds, Yankees, and Cardinals.
2. This is about the size I would expect to see in a personal travel trunk. A number of the larger ones that have single digit numbers (4, 6, ect) are often associated with players like Snider or Musial. I think period images support that these numbers are inventory numbers for a group of trunks.
3. I like the fact that is Bonds, while a star in his own right, this could have been "doctored" to have been Mays, McCovey, Marichal, Cepeda, etc.. So why waste a forged trunk on Bonds when other more profitable players might have worked."

"For what it's worth, from what I can see, I would be a buyer at $xxx for this.."

A person who offered one of the opinions above, also alerted me of a similar trunk being offered by Hunt Auctions. The people at Hunt's were nice enough to give me the dimensions of their case and it and my Bonds are the exact same size - 25x20.5x9.5.

Below are (5) pictures of the Bonds, before I received it, (2) of the Wes Westrum offered by Hunt and (3) of a trunk that has been on ebay for a loooooooong time which was supposedly owned by Willie Mays and later given to a Mets trainer named Joe Deer. I have no reason to doubt the Mays/Joe Deer story - I just think no one wants to spend $1600 on a painted over case with stick-on "mailbox" letters on it. I'll post my amateur restoration in my next post. As the thread title implies, I'd love to hear anyone else's input (good or bad); maybe see your comparables and I would love to see a photo match of any modern era Giant with a similar case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mm2.jpg (69.9 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg mm1.jpg (70.2 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg mm3.jpg (70.5 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg mm4.jpg (70.0 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg mm5.jpg (67.0 KB, 396 views)
File Type: jpg ww.jpg (47.1 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg jd1.jpg (41.6 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg jd2.jpg (55.4 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg jd3.jpg (30.4 KB, 396 views)