View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1915 W-Unc cards- Redux

It's no secret that I recently acquired some of the 1915 W-unc strip cards from Lipset's last auction. I think they are really neat and couldn't be happier with them. I ended up winning (paying more than anyone else) 3 individual cards and a group of 4, and have since sold that group lot. In Lew's write up he states that he believes them being called "strip" cards is far from the truth. Lew knows far more than I do so I will acquiesce on that issue. I don't know if they were strip cards or not but many of them do look handcut. I already had the more commonly seen card of the Phili Team issue that has tiny player images, as my type for the set. That made a total of 8 cards I had in hand. Two of those cards were noted by Lew as being larger than the others and were at the end of that run of them. He noted they could possibly be a different series altogether. I decided to do a little comparison myself. I had 6 of the "regular" sized cards and 2 of the "larger" cards. Here are the measurements of all 8 cards I had, with the *2 from the potentially different set listed last. I didn't reduce the numbers so it is easier to see the size differences. All of these are in inches, of course:

Phili Team card small players ................. 2 45/64h x 1 46/64w
Jim Thorpe ......................................... 2 48/64 x 1 42/64
Joe Wood .......................................... 2 48/64 x 1 39/64
Fred Maisel ........................................ 2 48/64 x 1 42/64
Nap Rucker ........................................ 2 48/64 x 1 47/64
Joe Doyle .......................................... 2 49/64 x 1 42/64
* Mathewson ..................................... 2 48/64 x 1 44/64
* Phili Team composite ........................ 2 49/64 x 1 42/64

If we look at the type 2's, as I call them, you will see they are in fact the same size as the rest of the cards, in general. As for measuring I was very, very careful and used a magnifying glass and took an inordinate (addicted collector) amount of time as to not make a mistake. So what is my theory as to the "type 2s"? I don't think they were from a different set. I think they were only cropped differently and ALL of the cards were cut the same size, in general, with some variances, but those variances don't have to do with a different set. Just my 2 cents......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wunc1915x8.jpg (74.6 KB, 972 views)

Last edited by Leon; 05-14-2010 at 07:25 PM.