View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Default How do you feel when you see this in an auction

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

As I understand it, and I could very well be wrong:

* A marked card (a card with ink or pencil) is not treated as an "alteration". The word "alteration" is a word that's reserved for a modification of the card with intent to deceive, or, in the case of "in period" trimming (or whatever you call it), a modification of the card in general. A marked card is treated the same as a card with an extreme blemish, like a heavy crease or a pinhole. Therefore, a marked card can be graded. PSA treats the mark by grading the card and then assigning a qualifier. SGC treats the mark as part of the overall condition of the card, and drops the grade accordingly.

* A card with a visible erasure, like an eraser line from the eraser on the back of a pencil, is usually treated the same as a marked card. The eraser left a visible mark, and may not have been done with intent to deceive. For example - I have a card that someone had drawn an offensive symbol on. I liked the card, but didn't like the symbol, so I erased it with a pencil eraser. You can plainly see that I did it. It's a marked card.

* If someone attempts to remove a mark from a card with intent to deceive, but the alteration is detectable, the card will be rejected. For example, if someone tries to rub off a mark by soaking the card and rubbing it with a Q-tip, but in the process removes some gloss or paper, the alteration can be detected by the graders. In this case, the card is rejected as having been altered. Someone tried to conceal a defect in the card, and in the process, wrecked the card.

* If someone expertly removes a mark from a card with intent to deceive, and the alteration cannot be detected, then there's no way for the grader to tell that the alteration took place. So the card is assigned a grade.

Seems to make a lot of sense to me. I think it's possible to debate the philosophy, and some of the debate might have merit, but I also think it's pretty easy to understand.

-Al