View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 11:22 AM
John

These cards that are selling at record prices suddenly, take a Jim Brown rookie that sells for 6.5K in a PSA 8 and then sells for 17.5K the same month... I just don't think that's schilling. How many people go into an auction willing to pay 7K and then "chase" another bidder up 10K? Just doesn't seem likely to me.

I consigned a card about a year ago that I remember well - it was a $250 card that sold for around that. But there was a bidder that bid around 35 times - I can't help but think he was trying to scare the competition away.

I have no idea what's going on - but couldn't there be a small group of "flippers/speculators" trying to manipulate this? I think there are multiple problems here - sure there is opportunity to schill in eBay auctions esp. with such small bid increments, someone might be willing to pay just a little more and chase a card up or maybe set their snipe with some extra $$ in it to be "safe", but I don't think that's why we see the record setting prices in my opinion.

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 06-29-2016 at 11:25 AM.