View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 07:40 AM
Tim B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
There are very good reason the owners of an auction house charge the percentages that they do. I would suggest talking to one or two auction companies and see what their actual overhead expenses are and the time commitment needed to put together an auction. I think you'll find it is a bit more than you expect.

As far as ethical auction houses, they are out there and get mentioned here from time to time.

A few other things to consider, who is responsible for when something doesn't go right, storing the items, or shipping? Despite multiple threads, this board has never been able to reach a consensus on how an auction should end. I'll let Leon or one of the other members who own or have owned an auction house speak of their experiences, but I just think you are greatly over simplifying the logistic of running an auction.

DJ
You are correct about everything you mentioned. You are also helping illustrate how much potential this has if it is given any serious consideration. Any market is based mostly on people, liquidity, trust, execution and stewardship. Due to the presence of so many people who do have the ability, experience and credibility located here it makes it the perfect hatching spot. Sharing costs, workload and responsibility could make it bearable. This forum is proof how many people love the hobby and the extremes to which they will go to proliferate it. It's a big leap - for sure - but big leaps are often preceded by small steps and hops.

Fun talking about it, anyway.

Full disclosure, I have no vested interest, I was in diapers or not conceived when many of you were pulling gems out of wax packs and am a very budget collector.