View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 05:26 AM
Administrator

Default If the bottom fell out...

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I'd love it. I think it would be great for the hobby.

I seldom sell a card. Once in a while, not very often. With a real crash I could forgo selling for a while. A crash would be no problem for me in that regard.

I would still buy cards. I collect them for their intrinsic connection to the game, not because of some value in a catalog or population report. In that regard, a crash would help my collecting. I could buy more cards with the same amount of money.

This board would still be active, so I'd be happy about that. A crash wouldn't kill off The Vintage Baseball Card Forum.

This is a hobby, not an investment. Invest in a home, an education for yourself or a kid, a mutual fund or two, real estate. Or futures or commodities. This is no place for a sensible investor. A crash might chase a few of those folks out, and that would be better for the hobby. Plus, a demonstration of volatility would deter other "investors" from entering our card market.

And I'd think that a good crash would cool down the slabbing frenzy.

The only way I see a downside to me if there were to be a crash would be if some financial disaster struck me necessitating sale of my cards. I don't see that happening. If I die on the heels of a crash, that might be unfortunate for my heirs, IF they were to sell off cards at that time. I think they'd hold cards a while, they don't really know much about them, but they perceive the cards have some value.

So bring on a crash, please sir. A good 'un!!!!

Frank.