View Single Post
Old 01-12-2023, 08:37 AM
Jason B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
This is a pretty straight-forward policy. I don't understand the confusion. If a slab shows any signs of damage, it is more than reasonable to think that the card inside may have been damaged as well. If you drop a card in a PSA holder and it lands on a tile floor, cracking the corner of the slab, there's a pretty decent chance that the card inside might have sustained damage as its edges were jolted against the bumpers inside. I've seen countless cards inside PSA holders where the edges were damaged by the bumpers. If PSA receives a damaged slab from a customer, regardless of the extent of that damage, they are more than within their rights to want to examine the card again. And once they crack it out, the card just goes into grading without the bias of the label. A grader receives it raw just like any other card and gives it a grade.

The real problem here is that PSA has moved its own goalposts, not that they regrade cards in cracked slabs.

Just one more reason I own ~0 PSA holders with old certs. I buy the cards, not the holders. And nearly every single card in an old holder has been over-graded even by yesterday's standards, let alone today's.

Travis, you make excellent points. The policy is pretty clear to my eyes as well.
Absent details from the OP about these 3 examples, I'm not sure there's any real evidence to disprove the rule on Reholdering here, as you've laid out.

No doubt PSA has toughened up their grading of raw cards generally, since late 2019/2020. For those of us who have submitted for many years, there were always palpable shifts in grading 'toughness' that would occur every so often. But the latest shift was really significant.

That said, If a submitter is careful in selecting what to send in, he could do very well with PSA Reviews.
For fun, I have some examples here (top row of pic) of PSA being fair, if not very lenient -- but only the Reggie was submitted in 2022. The Ruth was maybe 2018, and the Jordan probably 2016 or so?
All were submitted in-holder, not cracked out.

To your point about nearly every old holder being weak for grade, I've actually had a lot of success as above getting half-point (or with the MJ a full point) bump with nice cards in holders from the years when PSA didn't do half-grades.
It is successful less of the time than it should be these days, but to my eye I think that the Old Holder cards in the lower row would/should all get a 1/2 point bump if sent in.
|
|
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reholder and Undergraded Old Slab collage.jpg (198.0 KB, 520 views)
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)

Last edited by ZiggerZagger; 01-12-2023 at 03:26 PM.