View Single Post
Old 10-03-2004, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Default Harper's woodcut question

Posted By: brian p 

I recently picked up a Harper's woodcut (not in my usual collecting realm) of the 1874 Boston team. When I got it home, I discovered it differed from the one listed and shown in the VCBC #14 article on Harper's by Dennis Purdy in that the player's names are listed on both bottom and top, the caption indicates that it is "From Harper's Weekly, June 27, 1874, is titled International Baseball--The Boston Champions (the Baseball does not have a dash between the Base and Ball), and has a rectangular box at the bottom left that reads as follows:

"The baseball event of 1874, according to papers of that year, was the visit of the Boston champions to England. A.G. Spalding acted as avant-courtier for the tourists, and the men who played on the visiting team have, in most cases, emerged into a national prominence."

The back has an engraving of a horse rescue at a subway work site, and has Harper's Weekly at the top and a page number 687. It also looks to be from the same general time frame.

Did Harper's later reprint their woodcuts? Purdy does not have anything like that listed in his article. Also, does the lack of a dash between Base and ball indicate a certain time that this was issued? It certainly appears old. Sorry, no scans--anyone (Julie?) out there can help? Sure would appreciate it.

Brian