Thread: On the easel...
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Graig Kreindler

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the wonderful compliments - I truly appreciate all of them.

Mark, I think the Young is something special, and not necessarily because of how it's painted, but man, those eyes. The photographer really captured something special. But either way, I'm thrilled that you think I've gotten better. That's really what I strive for the most!

Michael, the mixed emotions really stem from the fact that an auction can kind of be a free-for-all. Which I guess is also why I like buying items from them - you can get some really wonderful deals on unique items from time to time. Believe me, the fact that the price of the DiMaggio painting was what it was absolutely THRILLED me. But, had it sold for much less, I definitely would have been a little upset. Even if that meant that someone got a good deal on something they might not have been able to get otherwise. In the end, I just don't want those auction numbers to negatively effect the retail prices that my agent charges. And I know it's the secondary market and all, so it probably shouldn't, but for some reason I feel like it might matter in the end. And believe me, I cringed while writing those last sentences - I sound like an @$$ caring about what prices of these things should be. But, I guess since it's my livelihood, it's something that deserves to be addressed.

And then on the other side of the coin, if the realized prices are higher than retail, then other clients might want to put their paintings up for auction too, in the hopes that they can make more money. Of course, they're VERY much in the right to do so. If they had purchased the painting, they're certainly allowed to sell it if/when they want/need to. I have to be at peace with the fact that the paintings can be looked at as an investment, if not something to enjoy.

Honestly, I know it sounds kind of weird, but maybe I'm just sad to see my work in an auction because it makes me think the original owner didn't want it anymore - maybe he/she just didn't enjoy it as much as before? And again, that's totally cool, I know it can happen. But I guess since each painting is kind of like a child to me, I can really get sensitive. And, I'm also terribly neurotic (I'm trying my best to embody every stereotype of my fellow Jews).

But regardless, I should stop complaining. I'm really honored that people like what I do enough to actually want to buy it. Especially since a painting is never something that somebody NEEDS. The fact that someone can enjoy my work and want to spend time with it is really all I can ask for.

Sorry if this response is all over the place, or sounds even remotely mean spirited.

Graig